Friday, October 11, 2013

Baby Makes Three by Shenoa Carroll-Bradd @ShenoaSays @KMNbooks #flashfictionbash #Halloween #Free

Karen: Shenoa Carroll-Bradd is a multi-published author of horror and fantasy tales. She's graced us today with one creepy story that is sure to make the tiny hairs on your arms stand at attention. Enjoy!  

***Remember everyday you can enter the Rafflecopter for another chance to win one of the fabulous Grand Prizes! All you have to do is leave a comment on each of the Flash Fiction posts. Click on the Rafflecopter link and state the title of the Flash Fiction Tale of the day and hit enter. That's 31 days and 31 extra points to win. Good Luck!


Baby Makes Three by Shenoa Carroll-Bradd

When he thinks I’m asleep, my husband Corey stops breathing. Apparently the rhythm and noise is just an act for the daylight hours. Makes me wonder what else he fakes. Corey doesn’t steal the covers anymore, either. He’s cut out the middle man and now simply steals my heat. I keep waking up to find his alabaster arms wrapped around me, sucking all the warmth away.
    Corey’s mother used to joke that he’d out-live us all. With her heavy French-Canadian accent, it had always sounded ominous, like a curse.
    I wonder if she regretted her words once he was admitted to the hospital with metastasized stomach cancer.
    I regret a lot from that time. I often sat beside Corey's bed, watching his wasted chest rise and fall, wishing I'd left before they found the tumors. I wished he was someone else’s problem, that it was someone else’s turn to be told which of his organs were shutting down, and how the cancer was resisting their best attempts. They said they couldn't save him. I told him they could.
I felt relieved when the call finally came, can you believe it? Relieved to hear my husband was dead. I cried myself blind, leaning against the kitchen counter, phone pressed to my ear. Happy tears. No more pain for Corey, no more pain for me. I actually thanked them.
An hour later they called back to say there'd been a mistake. It was a miracle. Corey lived. They apologized for the inconvenience.
    A lot has changed since Corey came home.
    He pushes his food around on the plate instead of eating, and he goes to bed when I do, but I don't think he sleeps anymore. I think he watches me sleep, and pretends to breathe until the coast is clear. He doesn't sweat the same either, and when he cries, his tears smell sharp, like embalming fluid.
    He won't tell me what the doctors did.
    Slowly, life has fallen back into old rhythms. It's been three months since he left the hospital, and things are nearly back to normal now. Or at least, close enough.
    I used to do everything I could to avoid looking at my stomach, telling myself I was too busy to exercise, I had too much on my mind. It was always something I would get to later. Now I stand at the mirror and stare, as day by day, my stomach swells.
    Corey's already named the thing that grows, but does not stir, within me.
    If it’s stillborn, we’ll take it to the hospital. They’ll fix it up, like they fixed Corey. And then it will be my turn. I'm sure I won’t notice the smell once it becomes a part of me. I won’t waste so much time sleeping.   Or...breathing. And we’ll save thousands on grocery bills.
     The universe tested me with Corey's illness, and I failed. But this baby, whatever it turns out to be, might be my salvation. My cold-skinned, dead-eyed salvation.

THE END


About The Book:
 

The Minstrel Angel is my $0.99 dark fantasy novelette about the last days in a battle between human forces and an encroaching demon army. When the titular inhuman spy is captured, both sides find their loyalties tested as the tide of battle shifts and turns. You can purchase a copy at Amazon Kindle.

 









About the Author:

Shenoa Carroll-Bradd lives in Southern California and writes whatever catches her fancy, be it horror, fantasy, or erotica. Her Facebook fan page is http://www.facebook.com/sbcbfiction
Website
Twitter

12 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome, Shenoa!

Enjoyed your creepy story!

Rosemary Gemmell said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh - that was creepy and unusual!

Theresa Ryder said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! That did not go where I thought it was going to go. Excellent!!

debjulienne said... Best Blogger Tips

Totally unexpected ending...I get the first part...watching someone die is horrible, you have no power, no way to help, feel useless...it sucks! Very well done.

Linda Carroll-Bradd said... Best Blogger Tips

You sure gave me something to think about. Creepy is right. Congrats on the story.

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Shenoa,

Enjoyed the story. Good and creepy for Halloween. :)

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Not what I expected at the end. Good job.

Jean MP said... Best Blogger Tips

That was a very creepy story, enjoyed it, perfect for this time of the year.

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

That was different

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Shadow said... Best Blogger Tips

This sounds interesting. Im intrigued! Thanks for sharing!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Cara Marsi said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that's a creepy story, and very creative. Thanks for the great read.

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that was a creepy and unusual story. Thanks for sharing!