Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A Brunette, a Ghost and a Werewolf Walk Into a Bar @CaraMarsi @KMNbooks #flashfictionbash #free

The Contest has ended and the winner is... Theresa Ryder. She wins a copy of A Groom for Christmas! Congratulations!

KAREN: Cara Marsi is an award winning author of romantic suspense, paranormal and contemporary romances. In her flash fiction tale, A Brunette, a Ghost and a Werewolf Walk Into a Bar, you'll find the company heartwarming and with a good choice of spirits.

***Giveaway: Cara is giving away an Ebook copy of "A Groom for Christmas". Read on and find out how you may add this treat to your goody bag.

Don't forget to enter the Rafflecopter, too. You can enter once a day for a chance to win one of the Grand Prizes!!

A Brunette, a Ghost and a Werewolf Walk Into a Bar 
by Cara Marsi,
I stood in the shadows at the end of the bar and stepped around a large werewolf. I was a tall guy myself, but this guy was well over seven feet. The raucous Halloween revelers crowding the small area in the upscale tavern reminded me of the bar scene in the Star Wars movie. With my torn, bloody clothes and bruised and battered face, I fit in with the crazy array of costumed people surrounding me. My best Halloween costume ever, not that anyone noticed. I chuckled at the irony, and glanced at the werewolf’s glass of beer. I licked my lips, thirsty for the old days. Maybe a cold brew, something, anything, could wipe away the events of the past week. No such luck. The injustice of it all threatened to overwhelm me, but I pushed it aside with a brutal mental shake.
I looked toward the door. A sudden shiver rolled over me. Instinctively, I knew the woman I’d been told to expect had arrived. Like a predator focused on prey, her green cat-like eyes met mine and she nodded.
With the sensual smoothness of a tigress, she strode toward me. My breath caught. She was the sexiest woman I’d ever seen. Long, silky black hair framed her heart-shaped face, and soft strands draped the shoulders of her white raincoat. Her clothes seemed to glow as she glided through the crowd.
When she reached me, she smiled, showing even, pearly teeth. “Hi. Been waiting long?”
“No.”
She turned toward the bar where a pretty blonde woman sat twisting the stem of her untouched glass of white wine. On the stool next to her, a good-looking young, dark-haired guy lifted his beer bottle to his lips, but his attention was focused on the blonde’s reflection in the large mirror hanging behind the bar. They were the only two not in costumes.
“He’s noticed her,” the black-haired tigress said.
“They’ve been sitting next to each other for thirty minutes and he’s yet to get up the nerve to talk to her.”
My new friend snorted. “That’s so like him. He always did need a push.”
She headed toward them. I followed. We positioned ourselves behind the young couple. Up close, I could see the blonde’s cheeks glistened and her eyes were red-rimmed. Sadness twisted my heart all over again.
My companion raised her hand, and suddenly, the blonde’s wine glass tilted over, spilling its contents onto the wooden bar. The young guy next to her righted the glass and used his napkin to wipe some of the wine before it could drain over the side and onto her lap. The bartender hurried over with a rag and cleaned it up.
The blonde looked at the man who’d helped her and gave him a tremulous smile. “That was clumsy of me.”
“Don’t worry about it. Can I buy you another drink?”
“I’m not in the mood for alcohol tonight. I thought I was when I came in.” She narrowed her eyes, as if seeing him for the first time. “You’re not in costume either.”
“I don’t feel like celebrating Halloween. But I had to come here tonight.”
“Why?”
“It was my sister Mira’s favorite place. She was on her way here a year ago when she was hit by a drunk driver while crossing the street.”
The blonde laid her hand over his on the bar. “I’m so sorry.” She swallowed. “I buried my brother today. Brent was the only family I had. He died in a car accident a week ago.”
 When she began sobbing, the guy took her into his arms and let her cry. As her sobs lessened to hiccups and sniffles, he took a handkerchief from the pocket of his jacket and wiped her tears.
“Thanks,” she said. “For giving me your shoulder to cry on.”
“I’m glad I could help.” He smiled. “I know a little diner close by. Would you like to go? I’ll lend you my shoulder again if you need it.”
“I’d like that.”
Arm-in-arm, they left the tavern.
Mira, green cat-eyes sparkling, looked at me. “Brent, from this day, neither of them will ever be alone again.”
“Thank you,” I said. “I couldn’t stand the thought of leaving her by herself.” I looked down at my clothes. They were clean and new. I put a shaky hand to my face. No cuts or scratches.
Mira tucked her arm through mine. “Are you ready to go now?”
I nodded. “I had to be sure she’d be okay.”
Mira smiled. “We know.”
We walked through the closed double doors and out to the street.
The next day, a few tavern patrons swore they’d felt a chill and looked up to see a sparkling white sphere heading for the clouds. Because they’d been drinking, no one believed them.
Everyone knows there are no such things as spirits.  
The End 

About the Book:
When a young woman hires her hometown’s former bad boy to be her pretend fiancĂ© for the holidays, she finds she can’t wrap up her feelings as easily as a Christmas gift.
New York jewelry designer Graceann Palmer has two days to find a fiancé to bring home to Pennsylvania for the holidays so her matchmaking mama will quit fixing her up with jerks. The Falcon, a motorcycle-riding, leather-clad former high school crush, helped her out once before. Maybe he'll do it again.
Jake Falco, man of many mysteries, is back in town on a mission—one the people of Spirit Lake most likely won't appreciate. When Graceann presents him with her crazy scheme, it gives him something he's always wanted—a chance to get to know Graceann. It also gives him the perfect opportunity to add fuel to his project of revenge.
But as Jake and Graceann grow closer, their engagement-of-convenience begins to feel like the real deal—until Jake’s secrets are revealed.
Can a relationship that began with lies and secrets bloom like a rare Christmas rose into happily-ever-after?
You can purchase a copy at: Amazon 

   Barnes and Noble
 ***Giveaway: Cara is giving away an Ebook copy of "A Groom for Christmas". All you need to do is leave a comment and your email and you're entered to win! Good Luck!

About the Author:

Cara Marsi, an award-winning author, is a former corporate drone and cubicle dweller. Freed of her fabric-covered cage, she can now indulge her love of all things romance. She craves books with happy endings and loves to write about independent heroines and the strong heroes who love them. And she loves to put her characters in dangerous situations or situations merely dangerous to their hearts and watch them fight for the happy endings they deserve.
 An eclectic author, Cara is published in romantic suspense, paranormal romance, and contemporary romance. She’s also published numerous short romance stories in national women’s magazines and online. Cara and her husband live on the East Coast. They enjoy traveling and she likes to set her stories in the places they've visited. They share their house with a fat black diva of a cat named Killer. 
You can visit the author at:
Website 
Twitter
Facebook

22 comments:

Daniel Efosa Uyi said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice post meh, I learnt something from this post and I'm working on making it useful. The blog reminds me of an equally interesting blog on my reading list http://danieluyi.com Dating and Personal Development Blog .
keep up the good work.

Regards

Cara Marsi said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for having me today, Karen. I've loved reading all the stories. I hope your readers enjoy my story.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Cara,

Thanks so much for being a part of the Halloween Flash Fiction Bash! Your story is a hauntingly beautiful addition!

Adele Downs said... Best Blogger Tips

What a fun post, Cara! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your new release!

Best--Adele

Veronica Forand said... Best Blogger Tips

The perfect short story for Halloween. Thanks for making my morning more cheerful.

Victoria Adams said... Best Blogger Tips

What a fantastic little story.
Tweeted.

Rose Anderson said... Best Blogger Tips

Now that was a fun read for the season. Best luck Cara!

Jean MP said... Best Blogger Tips

That was a great story, perfect for a Halloween story.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosemary Gemmell said... Best Blogger Tips

What a lovely story, Cara - great ending! I also love that you, too, write in different genres!

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

What a lovely tale, Cara, not what I was expecting from the title, and lovely to have a HEA!

Laura Strickland said... Best Blogger Tips

A charming story! I really enjoyed the read. Happy Halloween!

RE Mullins said... Best Blogger Tips

Great hook. After reading it, I had to go see what it was all about. Very nice post and perfect for Halloween.

R.E. Mullins

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Great story. I really liked it.

Tweeted!

cnickol @ verizon dot net

Cara Marsi said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for posting, everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed my story.

Melissa Keir said... Best Blogger Tips

I loved the story Cara! Very touching and I'm wishing that there's a happy ending for Brent and Mira too! Looks like maybe you have a Christmas flashficiton to write! :)

melissa
daringzoey at yahoo.com

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice story

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Theresa Ryder said... Best Blogger Tips

Perfect ending. One of the best ghost stories I've read recently. <3

Gemma Juliana said... Best Blogger Tips

What an enjoyable Halloween story, Cara. Thanks for sharing it!

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Loved the happy ending, thanks for sharing!

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

I really liked this story! Thanks for sharing. :)

katrinagillian@ yahoo dot com

Cara Marsi said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks again, everyone. This has been a fun bash. I'm picking a winner today. Stay tuned!